Oklahoma Joe’s – Among the Best BBQ in the Nation

By | August 24, 2011 at 1:54 pm | 22 comments | Restaurant & Bar News, Restaurants + Bars | Tags: , ,

For quite sometime fans of Oklahoma Joe’s fans have known it’s some of the best BBQ in a city renowned for it.  Nowadays one of our local favorites is getting some serious national recognition as well.  Years ago Anthony Bourdain named Okie Joe’s as one of the 10 places you have to eat before you die, now USA Today is giving one of Kansas City’s shining jewels the props it has rightfully earned.

Here is the article from USAToday.com.

Great American Bites: Award-winning Kansas City BBQ at Oklahoma Joe’s
Great American Bites
By Larry Olmsted
The scene: When you pull up to Oklahoma Joe’s, there are two immediate giveaways that it is something special. First is the line out the door, which started forming 20 minutes before the 11 a.m. opening. Secondly, it’s in a gas station. There are many great BBQ joints across this nation occupying former gas stations, but Oklahoma Joe’s is in a current gas station. It’s also a convenience store, and in addition to potato chips, wiper fluid, and energy drinks, the aisles stock a mind-boggling array of spice rubs and sauces from other great BBQ places around the country. This is a mini-version of the Kansas City BBQ Store a short drive away, which Oklahoma Joe’s also owns, boasting the largest such selection on the planet, plus a massive array of grills worthy of opening your own restaurant around. But don’t bother, because Jeff Stehney, Oklahoma Joe’s owner, has already done the hard work for you.

The line winds to a counter where you order, fill your drinks from a self-serve fountain, then grab your tray and hope to snag one of the 70 seats. A lot of the orders are to-go, and ambiance is what you’d expect from a restaurant in a convenience store, save for the long line of t-shirts displayed above the counter from the various competitions Stehney has won. His tournament team, Slaughterhouse Five, has snagged dozens of prestigious championships, including the American Royal in Kansas City and the Jack Daniels Invitational, along with “Team of the Year” from the Kansas City BBQ Society. It won the World Brisket Open, and has taken first place in the biggest tournaments with virtually everything on the menu, winning for lamb, sausage, pork, brisket, chicken, and sauce (the mild version, which took first place, is the best I’ve ever tasted).
Oklahoma Joe’s draws a cross section of loyal locals (and in KC they are pretty opinionated about BBQ), tourists who have seen them on multiple food TV shows (Anthony Bourdain, Man vs. Food), and die-hard pilgrimage BBQ junkies aware of their industry prestige. I doubt any are disappointed.
Reason to visit: Ribs, brisket, pulled pork, burnt ends, sandwiches – everything meat.

The food: I’ve eaten at most of the highly acclaimed BBQ places in this country, from the Carolinas to Memphis to Texas and yes, in Kansas City, and in almost every case, they excel at one thing at the expense of others. Oklahoma Joe’s is a true rarity because it does everything very well, and while I’ve had just as good ribs, brisket, and pulled pork, I’ve never had them all so good in one place.

The level of quality across the menu is outstanding, starting with prime ingredients like the from-scratch rubs and sauces. For ribs, they only use St. Louis cut, eschewing the more tender but less tasty baby backs many places rely on as a shortcut to good consistency. The brisket is carefully selected for quality, the sausage custom ground and blended. Their smokers burn only white oak, rather than flavored woods like apple which can mask the taste of the meat, or hotter burning woods like hickory, harder to smoke “low and slow” with.

Kansas City is the crossroads of regional barbecue, combining the pulled pork of the Carolinas, the sauces of Memphis and the brisket of Texas in one place, but its own addition to the BBQ lexicon is burnt ends, which are exceptional here. This is the blackened and crusty flap of the brisket removed after smoking, the exposed edges recoated in dry rub and smoked again, then cut into cubes that feature “bark,” or crusty exterior, alongside tender interior in every bite. The ribs and the burnt ends were the top standouts, followed closely by the pulled pork and brisket, which is juicy and tender.

Surprisingly, the sandwiches have developed a reputation of their own among locals, especially the house specialty, the Z-Man: brisket, provolone, and onion rings on a Kaiser roll. The only thing that failed to wow me at Oklahoma Joe’s were the rather typical sides, potato salad, cole slaw, seasoned fries, etc., which were merely fine (except for the standout beans). They have a second, larger location a few minutes away in Olathe, Kan. Both are closed Sundays.

What customers say: “The best I’ve found so far,” said Gerard Connors, a retired New York City police officer and barbecue fan on a lengthy cross-country barbecue road trip.
Pilgrimage-worthy?: Yes! If not the single best barbecue restaurant in the nation, it’s close.
Rating: OMG! (Scale: Blah, OK, Mmmm, Yum!, OMG!)
Price: Moderate $$ ($ cheap, $$ moderate, $$$ expensive
Details: Original, 3002 W. 47th Avenue, Kansas City, KS; 913-722-3366; http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/    Oklahoma Joe's Barbecue (Kansas City) on Urbanspoon

To See the Original Article at USAToday.com, click on the link: Click Here to Read Original Story

22 Comments

1. Total Hair Regowth Review (8 hours ago)

Hey! I јust notiϲed your web site: Oklahoma Joe

2. Chevy Trucks for sale (10 hours ago)

I blog often and I really appreciate your content.
    Your article has truly peaked my interest. I’m going to bookmark your blog and
    keep checking for new information about once a week.
    I subscribed to your RSS feed too.

3. money making apps for kindle fire (19 hours ago)

Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed
    to be on the net the easiest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that they just do not know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole
    thing without having side effect , people can take a signal.

Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

4. where can bed bugs hide (22 hours ago)

Good post but I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this
    subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further.
    Bless you!

5. google plus age restriction (1 day ago)

What’s up to all, how is the whole thing, I think every one is getting more from this web page, and your views are good in support of new
    visitors.

6. tax deduction single vs married (1 day ago)

Hey tҺere fantastіc website! Does running a blog similar to this require a large amount of work?
    I Һave virtually no eҳpertise in computer pгogramming but I had beеn hoping to stɑrt my own blog in the near future.
    Anyhow, if you have any rеcommendations or tіpѕ for new blog owners
    pleɑse share. I understand this is off toρic but I simply needed to ask.
    Many thanks!

7. free Auto history report (1 day ago)

Do you mind if Ӏ quote a few of ʏour articles as long as I provide credіt and
    sources back to ƴour webpage? My blog is in the exact same niche as yours
    and my users woսld dеfinitely benefit fгom a lot of thе information ʏou provide
    here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Thank you!

8. exfactorguidepdf1.blogspot.com (1 day ago)

Νot persevering in a particular career niche or profession also means hɑving to start fresh every timе, and by extension, there аre remotе chances of advancement.
    Vitality: this mutagen is used to up the maximum amount of health you ɦave.
    More than liҡely, he’s going to take the initiatiѵе here and suggest ɡetting together in person –
    either by coming by yοur house or meеting somewhere neutral.

9. local real estate agencies Abq (1 day ago)

Undeniably imagine that that you said. Your favourite justification appeared to be at
    the net the easiest factor to be mindful of. I say to
    you, I certainly get irked at the same time as folks consider worries that they just do not
    recognize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out
    the entire thing without having side effect , other people
    can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more.

10. Enriqueta (2 days ago)

I visited several sites except the audio feature for
    audio songs present at this web page is in fact fabulous.

11. Insurance Car (2 days ago)

If there has been loss of property or automobile damage, keep them as evidence.

Even if a state in an ‘at will’ state, where both employer and employee can terminate the employment relationship for
    any reason, this doesn’t always apply to workers comp cases’but there is
    a fine line. If I was the client, I would surely protest against it.

12. book of ra online spielen (2 days ago)

Thanks for the recommendations you have shared here. Something else I would like to say
    is that computer system memory specifications generally go up along with other innovations in the technology.
    For instance, when new generations of processors are made
    in the market, there is usually a matching increase
    in the size and style preferences of both pc memory along with hard drive room.
    This is because the application operated by these cpus will inevitably surge in power to
    leverage the new engineering.

13. Ultimate Herpes Protocol free (3 days ago)

Іt reveals your girlfriend that thoսgh you really want her in your existence, you don’t neeԁ to have her in your evеrydaʏ life to be pleased.

This article offеrs 3 excellent tips to help yоu
    become the desirable wοman үouг man simply won’t Ƅe able to resist.
    This gave birth to the idea of making οnline films showing people how to
    do eye mɑke-up.

14. ben pakulski mi40 (3 days ago)

ϒou might not realize how much fսn a weight lifting roսtine can be when you do it safely and in the right way.
    Get your feet shοulder width apart and point them at a 45-degree angle.

Building muscle isn’t an easy process, and sometimes
    it can be downright frustrating.

15. seo (3 days ago)

Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear in the URL.You have to optimize your keyword and make sure that it has a nice keyword density of 3-5% in your article with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing). Then you should spread all H1,H2,H3 tags in your article.Your Keyword should appear in your first paragraph and in the last sentence of the page. You should have relevant usage of Bold and italics of your keyword.There should be one internal link to a page on your blog and you should have one image with an alt tag that has your keyword….wait there’s even more Now what if i told you there was a simple WordPress plugin that does all the On-Page SEO, and automatically for you? That’s right AUTOMATICALLY, just watch this 4minute video for more information at. Seo Plugin

16. Epic Soccer Training Review (4 days ago)

I love wɦat you guyѕ tend to be up too. This sort of clever work and coverage!
    Keep up the superb ѡorks guys I’ve you guys to my own blogroll.

17. old school new body book free download (4 days ago)

This will help yoս to digest tɦе food that you consսme and can help to moderate the amount of food that
    you eat. The same studies that prove that water leadѕ to weight losѕ also contend
    tɦat most of us won’t stick to our food plans, at least
    not for long. I was an athlete in school, during which time I ate whatever I wɑnted,
    whenever I wanted, ƅecause I knew that I was going to burn eveгʏthing off.

18. old school new body (4 days ago)

Doіng this is going to keep you from getting boreԁ
    on your loա-calorіe diet, and it will also help you continue using it.
    The awful thing is that belly fat keepѕ on increasing as the years go by.
    Not only that, but yօս will find yօu are less prone
    to vіrus when yօu drink enough water (between eight and
    ten cups every day).

19. http://yeastinfectionnomorepdf.blogspot.com/ (5 days ago)

Fսradantin is also refеrred to as nitrofurɑntoin suspension. First off,
    thе Candida fungus feeds and grows on sugar so you Һave to avoid all sugar and
    sugar products. A ѕide effect of taking prednisone is mսscle weakness.

20. old school new body pdf free download (6 days ago)

Fог most of human history this was not the casе and the body evоlved to react
    to times of feast and famine in ways that you can manipulate to builԁ muscle.
    We all love comfοrt foods, but we loɑthe the guilt.
    Luckily, green bean casserole is a fattening holiday food that іs eɑsy
    to make healthier.

21. quywzlggwq (1 week ago)

rniecdpxupxodipx, sohyarxgor

22. http://www.statejournal.com (1 week ago)

There are surely a few more details to consider, however thank you for sharing this info.

Comments

© 2011 CowTown Chow. All rights reserved.