The Best of Kansas City Outdoor
Let’s have a little fun and do something a little different. Typically I set down to make a Top 10 list of a specific restaurant type. Whether it’s burgers, BBQ, or brunch, I have a specific category in mind and stick to it. To shake things up a bit I thought I’d take this in a whole new direction and do a Top 10 list of the best places in Kansas City to get food or drinks outside. With warmer weather hopefully here to stay we are all clamoring to get out onto patios and enjoy a bite to eat or a cold adult beverage after a very long winter. So with that in mind I started making a list of the best places around to gather with friends and toast spring really being here.
So here is our Top 10 Patios / Decks / Outdoor Dining in KC:
10. John’s Upper Deck (Downtown KC) – A good place to sit with friends after a long day and look out at the downtown sky line.
9. Westside Local (17th & Summit) – This little gem on the westside doesn’t have a tremendous view, but it has a great atmosphere and you’ll always find people having a great time.
8. Lakeside Tavern (Mission Farms) – The expansive patio overlooking the neighboring pond complete with couches in the fire pit lounge make this a great outdoor place for drinks or dinner.
7. Harry’s Bar & Tables (Westport) – The other great outdoor bar spot in Westport, Harry’s has tremendous signature cocktails to make outdoor happy hour unbeatable.
6. The Living Room (KC Power & Light) – P&L is a polarizing place among many Kansas Citians, either you love it or hate it. Either way for happy hour, before the late night masses descend on the district, this is a great place to get a drink and enjoy the warm weather evenings.
5. McCoy’s Public House (Westport) – Hand-crafted beers and a prime location for people watching make this a tremendous Westport hangout.
3. Abe & Jake’s Landing (Lawrence) – Set overlooking the Kansas River, this huge former factory is a cool place to grab a drink and look out over the water.
4. Lidia’s Kansas City (Crossroads District) – Situated just north of Union Station this huge patio has a great location in the Crossroads and amazing food to boot.
2. Marina Grog & Galley (Lake Lotawana) – Where else can you have a tremendous dinner while sitting at a marina watching the sunset over the lake.
1. Grinders (Downtown Art District) – Great summer concert lineup, amazing pizza/sandwiches, and expansive beer list make this an unbeatable place to grab a cold one, a slice, and listen to some music.
Honorable Mention (Yet still a great place for outdoor fun):
– Trezo Mare (Briarcliff Village) One of the best views of downtown Kansas City.
– Café des Amis (Parkville) – It’s like eating and drinking in your own personal tree house.
– Yia Yia’s (Leawood) – Great food on one of Leawood’s best patios.
– Classic Cup (Plaza) – The only sidewalk café on the Plaza. Great place to sit and watch the shoppers.
– McCormick and Schmick’s (Plaza) – Great food happy hour and patio overlooking the Plaza.
– Jasper’s KC (South KC, MO) – Wonderful food on a patio overlooking Brush Creek. A little getaway in Suburban KC.
– Harry’s Country Club (River Market) – The best patio in the River Market and great views of Downtown KC just across the highway.
– O’Dowd’s Little Dublin (Plaza) – The best rooftop deck on the Plaza.